Words Count

The Thomas Howell Ferguson Blog

Tax Credits That Can Result in a Refund for Individual Taxpayers

If you are not required to file a tax return, you may want to do so, because you might be eligible for a tax refund. Some taxpayers might qualify for a tax credit that can result in money in their pocket. You need to file a 2017 tax return to claim these credits.

Four tax credits that can mean a refund for eligible taxpayers:

  • Earned Income Tax Credit. If you worked and earned less than $53,930 last year, you may be eligible for the EITC as a tax refund. You must qualify for the credit, and may do so with or without a qualifying child. You may be eligible for up to $6,318.
  • Premium Tax Credit. If you chose to have advance payments of the premium tax credit sent directly to your insurer during 2017, you must file a federal tax return to reconcile any advance payments with the allowable premium tax credit. In addition, if you enrolled in health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace in 2017 and did not receive the benefit of advance credit payments you may be eligible to claim the premium tax credit when you file.
  • Additional Child Tax Credit. If you have at least one child that qualifies for the Child Tax Credit, you might be eligible for the ACTC. This credit is for certain individuals who get less than the full amount of the child tax credit.
  • American Opportunity Tax Credit. To claim the AOTC, the taxpayer, their spouse or their dependent must have been a student who was enrolled at least half time for one academic period. The credit is available for four years of post-secondary education. It can be worth up to $2,500 per eligible student. Even if you don’t owe any taxes, you may still qualify.


For more information regarding tax refunds, always consult a Certified Public Accountant. Submitted by: Michael Kalifeh, CPA, Shareholder, Tax Services, Thomas Howell Ferguson P.A. CPAs, (850) 668-8100, mkalifeh@thf-cpa.com.


Related Blog Posts